Health libraryBack to health library
Brazilian chicken with black beans
Makes 6 servings.
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
2 pounds skinless chicken thighs with bone or skinless breast with ribs or combination
1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped scallions, green and white parts
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
Salt, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 large navel orange, cut in 6 wedges
- In large Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 4 minutes on each side.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to large bowl. Cover bowl with foil.
- Add broth and scrape bottom of pot while it boils, gathering up all browned bits.
- Add broth to chicken. Seal foil tightly over bowl and set chicken aside.
- Using paper towel, wipe out pot. Return pot to medium-high heat, and add remaining oil.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and scallions to pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add bay leaves and sprinkle nutmeg over vegetables. Arrange chicken pieces over vegetables, reserving liquid in bowl.
- Spread beans over the chicken. Pour liquid from bowl over beans. Cover and simmer until chicken thighs are falling-apart tender, 30 to 35 minutes. If using breast, cook until white in center at thickest part, 20 to 25 minutes.
- To serve, divide chicken among 6 dinner plates. Remove bay leaves. Mix to combine beans and vegetables, and season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Spoon 2/3 cup of beans and vegetables alongside chicken and liquid from pot over chicken. Garnish with parsley and orange wedges.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 4 days.
Serving size: 1/6 recipe. Amount per serving: 350 calories, 11g total fat (1.5g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 28g carbohydrates, 33g protein, 8g dietary fiber, 135mg sodium.